Archives

News

About the “Fear of Math”

Apparently, I didn’t just make up the idea that some people, including perhaps some of you, are afraid of math. In fact, not only is it true that some people are afraid of math, but we have some evidence to demonstrate why they’re afraid of math. It turns out, according to this study, that about 40% of math anxiety comes from genetics. Hey, you can partly blame your parents! Or at least their genes. The other 60% comes from your …

Read More

News

Obscurity Is the Enemy

Not availability. The New London Theatre in London’s West End holds a little over 1,000 people. On February 27, War Horse was performed in the New London. Therefore, a little over 1,000 people (at most) saw the show, right? Logical, isn’t it? Except that in reality, more than 150,000 saw it in real time via broadcast as it was being performed. The biggest hit so far for the National Theatre through its NT Live initiative, this performance got seen 150 …

Read More

Marketing

More Exposure Equals More Seats Filled

This is just basically me clicking “like” on Lyn Gardner’s thoughts about broadcasts not threatening the value of live theater (and I would add, of other live performance). Read it. Exposure to something compelling leads to more interest, not less. Obscurity is the enemy, not availability. Learn it, live it.

Read More

News

Who Would Want to Keep Peter Pan in the Dark?

More people saw The Sound of Music Live! on television at the holidays last year than went to a Broadway show in the entire year. The availability and, I suspect, the popularity of the show led some people in what I think of as the Theater Suicide Cult to find any way at all to criticize the production and snipe about the various qualities of the performers. Just imagine the fits they had when they heard that NBC is perpetrating …

Read More

Sign Up for Emails

VIEW PAST ARTICLES