Archives

Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect

From time to time, we stumble across event art that's so good, we feel compelled to share. And if you don't know why event art is important, read this. Event Image for Minimalist Jukebox: The L.A. Phil Performs Gordon, Riley & Adams

Read More

Experience

Can You Say “VIP” Without Cracking Up?

You should know, I like selling tickets. I like seeing the venues of Goldstar’s partners packed to the rafters and their bank balances go up. I also like seeing a room full (as opposed to a room half full) of people having a great time at a live event. That’s just how I am.So I’m on record a bunch of times in support of things like premium pricing, even so-called “VIP” packages. As a rule, when a fan wants...

Read More

Bright Ideas

The Secret to Children’s Theater That Sells

Now that you're convinced you need to "get 'em while they're young," the trick is figuring out just how you're going to get them. Disney and Dreamworks have done a remarkable job creating movies that appeal to both youngsters and adults, but how does that translate to live entertainment?Utah's Deseret News looked into just that in a three-part series on children's theater. They asked a few local experts what's worked for them and came away with some great advice...

Read More

Marketing

What Does “Get ‘Em When They’re Young” Mean for Live Entertainment?

Get a child hooked on your product when he’s 10, and he’s yours for life. A lot of marketers believe that as gospel, and from time to time evidence emerges that “proves” it.I’ve always been less convinced. Preference is highly perishable, and most of the “brands” I liked as a kid aren’t particularly relevant to me now. I mean, I still like Count Chocula in theory, but I don’t exactly eat much of it.And when you look at the...

Read More

News

Is Opera Failing to Do the Math?

Following in the footsteps of the New York City Opera and Opera Pacific in Orange County, the San Diego Opera will be calling it quits at the end of the 2014 season.Ian Campbell, the company's general director, told the Los Angeles Times that ticket sales had been declining as well as donations, primarily because of death and the economic downturn.A follow-up piece by the Los Angeles Times expressed surprise (and a little outrage) at the closing, using San Diego's...

Read More

News

About the “Fear of Math”

Apparently, I didn’t just make up the idea that some people, including perhaps some of you, are afraid of math.In fact, not only is it true that some people are afraid of math, but we have some evidence to demonstrate why they’re afraid of math.It turns out, according to this study, that about 40% of math anxiety comes from genetics. Hey, you can partly blame your parents! Or at least their genes.The other 60% comes from your experiences with...

Read More

ICYMI

In Case You Missed It

Each week we'll share a collection of articles we think are well worth reading. And now, in case you missed them ...• Crain's reported that eight New York City arts organizations are launching an alliance this summer called Audience 360, which "will allow members to get a better grasp on their own base, share ticket buyer information with each other and collect data that can be used to champion the overall arts community." Read about it here.• Derek Thompson highlights...

Read More

Marketing

Sometimes It Takes the Dead to See the Future …

Not zombies, just hippies. Specifically, the Grateful Dead. Scott McDowell wrote a great piece on 99U recently reminding me of what I’ve long believed. The Grateful Dead were decades ahead of the rest of the live entertainment business in a number of ways.You should read the whole article, so I won’t distract too much from that, but I want to point out a couple things that I think are of particular interest across all genres. He highlights “building a...

Read More

Marketing

Turn It Off If …

We talked recently about how you should be willing to turn off programs that don’t work.So let’s get more specific about ticket-selling programs and when you should turn them off. It’s actually quite simple.If they're not improving your Revenue Per Seat, turn them off. Not average ticket price sold. That’s a sucker’s metric. Revenue Per Seat.Count all the dollars you bring in and divide it by all the seats you could potentially sell.Let’s use a simple example. Say you...

Read More

Marketing

The Glossy Brochure Needs to Die

Like print advertising, the glossy season brochure has just about come to the end. It’s one of those things kept alive by a belief that “you have to make a glossy season brochure.” One day the spell will be broken and that belief will fall to the floor like a dropped glove.I don’t know anything about the work of the theater who made the video below, but in just 54 seconds it makes me want to know more about...

Read More


Sign Up for Emails

VIEW PAST ARTICLES