10 Reasons to Applaud Open-Air Theater
Outdoor productions are getting better box-office receipts, attracting new audiences and posing more interesting artistic challenges, according to Kitty Knowles & Nick Clark’s article in The Independent.
You should read the entire article, but here are 10 reasons (picked from the article) why open-air theater is becoming more popular with everybody — audiences, actors, directors, producers.
1. A wider variety of shows being staged
2. Informality of the performances
3. Novelty of seeing a play in an unusual and beautiful location
4. Low cost
5. Actors have a very tangible relationship with the audience with lots of interaction
“The audience are bringing picnics; they are not in a dark room being shushed, and they’re bringing their families along.” –Nancy Davies, Chester’s Grosvenor Park Open Air Theatre
6. Different set of tools (fire, water, height for juggling — these aren’t always possible in indoor venues)
8. Performances help to foster a sense of community
9. Atmosphere of an outdoor venue